Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy (Protein) Pancake Day!

Happy Shrove Tuesday! More importantly, Happy Pancake Day!





I thought it was only appropriate to have my first food post be about breakfast because it's my favorite meal of the day! And what a better way to start off the day than with a plate full of pancakes!

Even though it's Pancake Day, I didn't indulge on buttery, fattening pancakes, instead I made Protein Pancakes! Banana Walnut! They are delicious, gluten-free and healthy!

Here's what you need (I'll talk about substitutions later):

4 egg whites
1/4 c. rolled oats (choose gluten-free oats and bran for 100% gluten-free)
2 Tbsp. oat bran
1/4 c. cottage cheese
1/2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 banana

Possible toppings:
Other 1/2 banana
2 Tbsp. real maple syrup
Raisins
Walnuts
Dash of cinnamon



Combine all pancake ingredients in a mixer, food processor or blender (whichever you prefer) until you have a liquid consistency. Spray or oil a skillet (I use coconut oil) and pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter. The best thing for protein pancakes is to make thinner rather than thicker pancakes because they are easier to flip.
Wait until you get those magic pancakes bubbles and then flip!

 
Do you like our cute little toaster timer? Mom got it the last time she was in town, Thanks Ma!

The recipe yields about 4-5 thin pancakes. It's enough for me if I'm super hungry, but sometimes I'll save one or two and eat it as part of my snack later in the day.

When all your pancakes are done, top them with more banana, syrup, raisins or walnuts and a dash of cinnamon! Delicious!



Substitutions: If you don't use egg whites, you can sub 3 whole eggs with perfect results.
If you don't have oat bran, up the amount of rolled oats to 1/3 c.

Also, I've heard that flax seed shouldn't be heated because it ruins some of it's health properties, I'm not sure about it, but I like the extra nut flavor in my pancakes, especially with the walnuts.


Did you eat pancakes today?  How do you like your pancakes? Maybe I'll make them in a Protein recipe!

Enjoy and
Be Flavorful!
Roni

1 comment:

  1. they look so good! I made pancakes today too,, but they were the old fashioned Swedish recipe!

    ReplyDelete