Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chicken muffins and workouts

This week, the workout plan has changed from just lifting and cardio to adding in more supersets (two exercises back to back) and circuits (more than 2 in a row), sprint intervals and active rest. It's pretty much the "cut cycle" of the plan and I'm so excited that it's underway!
It always feels so good to start workouts that are meant to make you powerful but lean! Some of the combos are really killer too: leg press + jump squats = serious leg burn!
And the weather has been so nice here that running outside is enjoyable again! No more hacking and coughing with a mucus-lined throat because of bitter cold air...that's gross and I'll be happy when spring really arrives, so I don't have to worry about it again for 6 months.

On another note, I'm a big fan of packing my lunch, not only because it's cheaper, but much healthier than any options at my school...unlike big universities, we don't have five different cafeterias with multiple cafés and restaurants to choose from.
One of my favorite things to pack for lunch are chicken muffins! I know that you're thinking that sounds gross, but it's really just chicken meatloaf made in a muffin tin for easily packed, already portioned chicken!
I made another batch yesterday and they were a big hit with the boyfriend, I was worried he was going to eat them all! He especially liked them with hot sauce "frosting" as he liked to call it.



I'm going to copy and paste the recipe from here, Jamie Eason is not only one of my fitness model idols, she's also a genius!

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs ground chicken
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
  • 1 small onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
  3. Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
  4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.
  6. Makes 12 muffins. Serving Size: Women: 2 muffins Men: 4 muffins
     
The only thing I changed this time was that I didn't have celery, so I just omitted it. It's more for moisture than flavor, so I used a little more onion. Also, while I was on break, my mom gave me some smoked paprika and I added 1/2 tsp of that. She warned me that it was really strong and kinda spicy, but I unfortunately added too little this time and its flavor is not very noticeable, I would recommend at least a full teaspoon next time.

If you try the "muffins" I hope you like them! I think they make a perfect protein source for almost any meal on the go!

 Look at those cute little chicky muffins :)

Be Flavorful!
Roni

No comments:

Post a Comment