Monday, March 26, 2012

Chocolate almond protein muffins

The other day I came across a list of low-carb snacks and one of them happened to be Almond Apple Spice muffins. I made a few changes to the recipe, adapted it to what I had as well as made it a little *healthier*.
They are gluten-free which is lucky, since today is my first day of gluten-free living! It wasn't so bad today, and I realized that I don't eat as many gluten products as I thought. My breakfast and lunch were pretty much the same as usual, it was my snacks that changed the most I think, cause many days I will have PB on ww toast or tortilla. But I also noticed that I would normally have something with gluten at dinner as well, or if I wanted something to cheat with, those almost always have gluten! I think it will be an interesting two weeks...



Here's the link to the original recipe for the muffins again.
And here's how I made them:

1 cup ground almonds
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients in a bowl, melt the coconut oil slightly beforehand, if necessary. Spray a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray or use cup cake liners. Pour mix into muffin tins, (~3/4 full). Place tray in the oven and cook for 12 minutes. Make sure not to overcook as the muffins will become very dry.



This is a half recipe of what the site used, I figured since I'm just cooking for one person, it makes more sense to cut it in half. From this recipe I got 10 small muffins, they don't "grow" much in the baking process, so be aware of that.

The muffins are really nutty and the spices definitely make a nice overall "earthy" taste. It's maybe more of a autumn taste, than spring, but I like it all the same. They are extra good topped with a little almond butter, talk about a dessert-like snack! 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment