Monday, April 9, 2012

Quinoa Burgers

Happy Easter!! (this was suppose to be posted yesterday but I had some issues with Google)

I would like to share a recipe I made a few days ago with some leftovers. It's high in protein and healthy carbs to keep you full and energized!

But first I would like to recap my gluten-free two weeks. I have to say that the first week I was really diligent and stayed away from gluten like it was the plague! But then I spent the weekend up in Fort Collins, with the boyfriend and it was inevitable that we decided to go to my favorite restaurant Lucile's! I told myself it was perfectly okay to cheat that morning because Lucile's is simply the best!                                                           

To my surprise, I didn't have any digestive issues what-so-ever that day or the next! That was pleasing, so for the rest of the second week, I avoided gluten, but admit that I cheated some.

The verdict is that I don't think gluten causes me any specific problems, but I did notice I felt much less bloated and overall "lighter" on the days I was completely off gluten. Here's an example of my "before" stomach and an "after" one week completely off gluten.
                                                                    "Before"

                                                         "After" 1 week off gluten

I would definitely say I saw a difference in the amount of bloating over my abs with the comparison. So I'm keeping that in mind and have been still actively avoiding gluten-dense foods, such as bread and pasta.

Now on to the recipe!


Here's what you need:
(makes 2 patties)

1/3 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup cooked/drained garbanzo beans
1 Tbsp flax seed
1 egg white (or 1 whole egg)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp parsley
dash of both cumin and cayenne

Place all the ingredients minus the egg in a food processor and blend until it forms a paste.


Then add the egg and mix by hand until well combined. Form the sticky mixture into two patties and cook in an oiled skillet (covered) about four minutes each side.


If you decided to put cheese on top, like I did, add the cheese after you've flipped the patties and with only about a minute left to cook.


Enjoy with a side of veggies for a well proportioned meal! :)


Have you ever tried a gluten-free diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment